By Amanda Fox
Do you have trouble maintaining your get up and go? Do you have great ideas that you know would be a smash hit if you could just get them out of your head and into development? Do you ever think to yourself there is something you can conceive but can’t achieve? We all do from time time, that’s perfectly normal. It may be a business goal or a personal thing, but everyone has experienced these issues at some point. It’s a safe bet to say that 7 in 10 people reading this right now have dealt with one or more of those issues in the past two weeks. Of that group, it’s safe to say half still are – but you don’t have to be one them! You can reach your dreams if you know how to.
Motivation, self confidence, discipline and hard work are not abstract buzzwords that I toss around. They are the cornerstones of getting from where you are to where you want to be. Motivation is what gets you up out of bed to take on the challenges a day presents. Self confidence is what makes you believe you can face all of those challenges. Discipline is what makes you actually face them and hard work is what gets you through them. You may get through some challenges lacking one or even two of these cornerstones, but without each, you can’t overcome them all and you will not reach the goals you set for yourself.
There is a saying that you need to dream big, and I couldn’t agree more. Having dreams, and more importantly seeing them through to fruition, is what life is about. To that end, there are ten essential steps that will get you from point A to B and beyond if you commit yourself to fully adopting them and making them your personal reference point of power for achievement.
- Stop living in your comfort zone. Yes, I get it is nice and warm and safe in there, but there is also no room to grow. Your dreams can only be as big as zone you define for yourself. The good news is you can expand that zone infinitely and eat away at your discomfort zone opening up more possibilities for yourself.
- Choose to be happy. When you’re happy, you believe you can do more. Setbacks don’t sting as much. You are pumped and primed to be your best!
- Not only don’t fret over mistakes, embrace them! Every mistake you make gets you closer to success. Mistakes are nothing to fear – they are a building block of success.
- Dream big, but don’t live in a dream world. Dwelling on the past is not getting you anywhere and spending too much time focused on dreams of the future means you miss the present. Looking into the past and dreaming of the future are both healthy and essential, but they cannot be all consuming. You can’t make dreams of the future manifest if you aren’t focused on work in the present.
- Don’t limit yourself. Stop thinking in terms of “I wish I could do . . .” and start thinking in terms of how you will do. It makes all the difference in the world.
- Never stop learning. It doesn’t matter if you have enough degrees to build a hang glider or experience to fill the Grand Canyon – there is ALWAYS more to learn. Take an hour or so each day to spend a little time brushing up on lesser used skills or better yet, exploring new topics. With more knowledge comes more avenues to success.
- Don’t quit on your projects or dreams because they get hard. Great success is supposed to be hard. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
- Surround yourself with the “right” people. Nobody has time or energy to waste on people that don’t believe in them. Similarly, no one has room for nothing but “yes men” shadowing them either. Surround yourself with people that believe in you and your abilities, but that are also willing to provide you with relevant constructive criticism when it is warranted.
- Never leave your personal life in the dust for professional pursuits. We only have a limited time on this planet and there is nothing sadder than regret. You can pursue business goals to the degree you miss out on great personal relationships. Understand this fully and realize how true it is that no amount of professional success can replace the relationship of a lifetime. Some will definitely disagree with this, but I’m nor sure how.
- Have fun! Yes, there is a time to buckle down and put your nose to the grindstone, but there is a time for having fun as well. What good is being all business all the time? If you never take time to enjoy the fruits of your labor, what’s the point of it all? It is those times when you cut loose a little and enjoy life, preferably with people you love, that make every second of hard work you’ve put in and every second of it that is still to come, worth it all.
Is this an easy list to follow? Not by a long shot, but it is worth trying to implement in your life. Remember, if it was easy everyone would do it, but you aren’t everyone. You are your own unique individual and you do deserve success. It is up to you to seize it – no one is going to do it for you. And if you think you can’t do it without some extra focus and motivation, try a program like Year of a Lifetime from a proven success to help get you started on the right foot.
Powered by Facebook Comments